1/4 pound smoked bacon, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoon pork lard (perferably) or unsalted butter
1 medium onion chopped
1 1/2 pound Savory cabbage, cored and chopped
1 tablespoon paprika
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 quarts of water
2 fresh or smoked Polish kielbasa sausages (3/4 to 1 pound)
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
(makes 4 servings)
1. In a large flame-proof cassarole (a simple pot will work too),cook the bacon over medium-high
heat, stirring, until it has been sizzling a bit, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and
cook, stirring, until crisp, about another 10 minutes, but keep your eye on the bacon.
( when done place bacon o paper towl to get the axcese grease out)
2. Add 1 tablespoon of lard and once it has melted, add the onion. Cook over medium heat, stirring
ocassionally, until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the chopped cabbage and sweat for 5 minutes , tossing with the bacon fat until until it is well coated. Season with parika, salt, and pepper.
3. Pour in the water and boil gently until the cabbage is soft, about 30 minutes. In a pot, boil
the sausages seprately in water to cover for 10 minutes. Drain and slice the sausages and
4. In a large spot, melt the remaining tablespoon of lard over medium-high heat and make roux
by stirring in the flour. Cook the roux for 1 minute, then add the sliced sausages. Dilute the
roux with 2 ladelfuls of cabbage broth (about 1 cup), stirring to blend. Pour the roux and
sausages into and sausages into the cassorole ( or pot) and stir. Cook stirring occasionally,
for 10 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk, sour cream, and lemon juice together. Slowly add several
tablespoons of cabbage broth to the egg mixture and beat it in. Pour the egg mixture into the
soup and stir several times before serving. Serve hot.
~The Best Soups of the World by Clifford A. Wright